The Palarong Pambansa has become an institution by itself. It is the largest system of sports competition in the country with over 8,000 participants, including coaches and officials from elementary and secondary level, both private and public schools.
The Palarong Pambansa has been generating national athletes for over 64 years. It produced outstanding athletes namely Lydia de Vega-Mercado, Elma Muros-Posadas, Maristela Torres, Hector Begeo, and many more.
This year, after competing for 19 years to bid for hosting this prestigious event, Negros Oriental has finally host Palarong Pambasa 2013 on April 21 – 27, in Dumaguete City.
2013 Palarong Pambansa Playing Venues ***
- Achery – Ang Tay Golf Range
- Arnis – Holy Cross High School Gym
- Athletics – Gov. Mariano Perdices Memorial Stadium
- Badminton – The Court LP Hyper Mart
- Baseball – Silliman Heights Ball Park Diamond 1 / Dr. Orbeta Ball Park Diamond 2 & 3 / Martinez Ball Park 1 & 2
- Basketball – Lamberto Macias Sports Center / Silliman University Gym / Talay Basketball Gym / ABC Learning Center Gym
- Boxing – Robinson Place Dumaguete
- Chess – Silliman Hall
- Football – Silliman University Cimafranca Ball Field / Gov. Mariano Perdices Memorial / Foundation University Ball Field / Silliman University Ravello Field
- Gymnastics – NORSU Cultural Center
- Sepak Takraw – SLS – Don Bosco HS Gym
- Sipa – Catherina Ball Park
- Swimming – Sen. Lorenzo G. Teves Aqua Center
- Table Tennis – Praxevilla Tennis Court
- Taekwondo – St. Paul University Gym
- Tennis – Praxevilla Tennis Court/ Silliman University Tennis Court
- Volleyball – Foundation University – Children’s / Foundation University Gym / Asian College Gym
*** source: DepEd